[K12OSN] Thin clients unable to complete connection to fileserver

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Nov 19 01:02:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 18:35, Jennifer Waters wrote:

> I reinstalled the software to see if that would make
> any difference.  I noticed that there are many changes
> that I have to make in order to have the server
> actually work.

Is there any chance that you could convert to a 2-NIC
configuration with the 'outside' one connected to the
school network, the 'inside' connected to a separate
switch with all the clients on it?  In that configuration
it will work as installed.

>  I need to start writing directions so
> that I know what changes I have made. Yes, I put the
> correct address for my server into lts.conf.
>
> I am only using one nic card.  I do not have the dhcp
> server, that is done by the district.

In the 2-nic configuration you provide DHCP only to
the 'inside' nic and your clients.  You can let the
outside NIC pick up a dhcp address from your network
or you can assign it a static address.  There is a
certain amount of danger to the rest of the network if
you plug your cables in wrong so you may have to deal
with a policy that says you can't activate the dhcp
server...

> I just don't know what to do.  Any more suggestions?

You have to change several things to make it work on
a flat network but it sounds like you are close.  It
can be made to work.  It wasn't clear exactly where the
clients stop now.  Are they starting X and getting a
grey screen or do you get an error trying to load X?

----
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com