[K12OSN] Thin clients unable to complete connection to fileserver

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Nov 19 03:11:39 UTC 2004

Jennifer Waters wrote:

>The last time you posted about a problem it looked
>like you
>weren't using the default IP addresses for a 2-NIC
>install.
>Is your SERVER entry in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
>pointing
>to the right place?
>
>I reinstalled the software to see if that would make
>any difference.  I noticed that there are many changes
>that I have to make in order to have the server
>actually work.  I need to start writing directions so
>that I know what changes I have made. Yes, I put the
>correct address for my server into lts.conf.
>
>I am only using one nic card.  I do not have the dhcp
>server, that is done by the district.
>
>I just don't know what to do.  Any more suggestions?
>
>Jennifer

Tell us as much as you can about that DHCP server.  And yes, you do have
to make a number of changes; fortunately, almost all of them are under
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc.  I also run a single-NIC install the same way you're
trying to do, and for the same reason (the district handles DHCP--turns
out I'm the district DHCP admin, too).  I've come to greatly appreciate
single-NIC installs.

Try heading over to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc and doing a recursive grep for
"192.168", like so:

  [root at k12ltspbox etc]# grep -nr '192.168' *

That'll tell you everywhere that you get to make changes.  Yes, this can
be fairly easily scripted.  No, I never actually script that because I'm
paranoid and like to personally review every change when I do this.

Then do the same thing in /etc.  Your big ones will be /etc/exports and
/etc/hosts.  You may also have to tweak /etc/hosts.allow.

Obviously, use your common sense when making changes.

--TP