[K12OSN] Single nic install - Terrell?

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Fri Nov 19 06:21:52 UTC 2004

Terrell Prudé wrote:

Jennifer Waters wrote:

        snip ---->

        I reinstalled the software to see if that would make
        any difference.  I noticed that there are many changes
        that I have to make in order to have the server
        actually work.  I need to start writing directions so
        that I know what changes I have made. Yes, I put the
        correct address for my server into lts.conf.
        I am only using one nic card.  I do not have the dhcp
        server, that is done by the district.
        I just don't know what to do. Any more suggestions?

        Jennifer

Tell us as much as you can about that DHCP server. And yes, you do have
to make a number of changes; fortunately, almost all of them are under
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc. I also run a single-NIC install the same way you're
trying to do, and for the same reason (the district handles DHCP--turns
out I'm the district DHCP admin, too). I've come to greatly appreciate
single-NIC installs.

-->Snip

Terrell,

What is the impact on the rest of the network with the single nic
install?

Here's where I'm at.

Two LTSP servers in operation one more on the way.

Each LTS server will be connected to:
* 10/100 NFS /home on private segment 192.168.1.0
* One of 3 separate 10/100 LTSP Segments 192.168.0.0 Copper Gig E to
each switch.
* 10/100 School LAN 10.0.0.0

MS Terminal Server will be connected to:

* 10/100 School LAN 10.0.0.0 for Internet connection
and
* ???

I'm leaning toward connecting the MS Terminal to the 192.168.2.0
segment.

Maybe I should rethink this.

Our 5 buildings are connected via 10/100 fiber. As we expand into
additional classrooms maybe there's a better way to configure our
network? For this pilot I am running a separate Gig E copper from the
new server to a new (dedicated to LTSP) switch.

Regards,

John