[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 9, Issue 95

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Fri Nov 19 06:48:26 UTC 2004

Terrell Prud Wrote:

Hello John,

As long as you're not running MS Office and FrontPage, or any similar
bloatware, then, based on my experience with Windows 2000 and NT 4.0
TSE, you should be fine with 10-15 users.  Folks on this list have said
that Windows Server 2003 has a more efficient terminal server subsystem
than its predecessors (that wouldn't be saying much, believe me).
Therefore, I'd say that, as long as you kept the apps lightweight, I'd
guess that 20 is feasible.

Best way to find out:  give it a shot and see how it goes.

If the quad 500 doesn't cut the mustard, then yes, you can move the OS
and CALs to a new server, so long as they're wiped clean from the
original server.

--TP

Terrell,

After reading:

the TermServScaling.doc

located at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/tsscaling.mspx

I think I'm going to be ok with this Proliant 6000.

When I first mentioned these servers on the list back in the summer
someone explained it to me this way. Each application run off these
servers will only run at 500 Mhz but the server will be able to run lots
of them.

I'll know tomorrow.

I loaded 2003 and connected it to one segment in the lab (20 terminals).
I am going to test it with 2 GB ram and see what happens.
I need to plan for the unlikely event that there will be 50 concurrent
users. It would be great if I could  send out the apps in a window
without the windows desktop. If I have to, I'll strip out the ram from
the other two for a total of 5GB.

John