[K12OSN] Linux cut off

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Nov 20 01:49:40 UTC 2004

Hello Jason,

I don't mind a bit, and that hereby applies to anyone else who wants to
as well...even Microsoft, if they so choose.

I would gladly give you a testimonial about my teaching without using
Microsoft, except for one problem.  I'm actually not a classroom
teacher.  Rather, I'm one of those "tech" people that...well, so many
teachers and administrators seem to hold in contempt.  I'll be glad when
they wake up and realize that we're on their side.

The best "testimonial" that I can give you is this:

The tech person (also a teacher) in the school that has K12LTSP has not
had to reboot his server even once.  The kids like it and brag about how
"we use Linux, we're da bomb!"  Yes, some kids have actually taken
K12LTSP CDs home, and there are a few who I know actually used it.  The
teachers like it because they don't have to play sneakernet  in the
computer lab anymore; they can access the kids' data from
their--sadly--Windows boxes.  Ah well, can't have everything.  :-)  And
the principal is ecstatic because, due to that K12LTSP server, that
school saved about $30K...before factoring in the yearly maintenance
savings.  This is *one* server in *one* computer lab that gave--and
continues to give--this principal's budget that savings.

It would seem that whatever curricula those teachers at this school are
using, K12LTSP does seem to be compatible with it.  The teachers don't
really know that the kids are using OpenOffice.org, nor do they seem to
care, so long as they can keep opening the kids' files on their Windows
boxes running MS Office.  I'm guessing that the principal had a lot to
do with the relative lack of whining at the beginning.

Perhaps this isn't the kind of testimonial you were looking for, but
it's the best I can do.

--TP