[K12OSN] Software to do X

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Sat Nov 20 05:03:59 UTC 2004

Shawn Powers wrote:

> 1) Print Shop alternative.  (This one is for my wife, not for at the
> school -- she's comfortable finding graphics online now, and doesn't
> need the included clipart like she did years ago, but does something
> like Scribus meet the needs of making little flyers, etc?)

I would concur with others that Scribus, Inkscape and Gimp make a
powerful combo. In fact there was a Slashdot article on these 3 apps
combined being adopted by newspapers. It was in Sept. ........ here it is.

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/03/1731203&tid=152&tid=106

Don't forget Blender and Povray for 3D modeling. Only problem is most
old clients don't have accelerated OpenGL chips. All of mine are Nvidia
Riva 128  or S3 Virge cards. BTW anyone try mesa drivers? Do they eat
too much cpu cycles? I'd imagine software 3D rendering in a terminal
server would be TOO slow if you had a whole class of 30. Even for a dual
Xeon.

Robert Arkiletian