[K12OSN] Linux cut off

Mario Guerra mguerra at cariari.ucr.ac.cr
Sun Nov 21 02:33:39 UTC 2004

El Viernes, 19 de Noviembre de 2004 19:49, "Terrell Prudé, Jr." escribió:

> The best "testimonial" that I can give you is this:
>
> The tech person (also a teacher) in the school that has K12LTSP has not
> had to reboot his server even once.  The kids like it and brag about how
> "we use Linux, we're da bomb!"  Yes, some kids have actually taken
> K12LTSP CDs home, and there are a few who I know actually used it.  The
> teachers like it because they don't have to play sneakernet  in the
> computer lab anymore; they can access the kids' data from
> their--sadly--Windows boxes.  Ah well, can't have everything.  :-)  And
> the principal is ecstatic because, due to that K12LTSP server, that
> school saved about $30K...before factoring in the yearly maintenance
> savings.  This is *one* server in *one* computer lab that gave--and
> continues to give--this principal's budget that savings.
>
> It would seem that whatever curricula those teachers at this school are
> using, K12LTSP does seem to be compatible with it.  The teachers don't
> really know that the kids are using OpenOffice.org, nor do they seem to
> care, so long as they can keep opening the kids' files on their Windows
> boxes running MS Office.  I'm guessing that the principal had a lot to
> do with the relative lack of whining at the beginning.
>
> Perhaps this isn't the kind of testimonial you were looking for, but
> it's the best I can do.

At least from my point of view, that it is the kind of testimony I like most.
Why?.

1. Well, I like to say "Linux and open-source" are not enemies of anybody, not
even M$. It works with whatever you have: Windows, Mac, Novell......This way,
silently, it is having more andThe kids like it and brag about how
 more market. And in the way it is more convenient. Without noise nor fanfare.
Do not wake up the Mon$ter.....:-)

2. "The kids like it and brag about how "we use Linux, we're da bomb!" .
Precisely!. These are the kids that will be the adults in a little more than
a decade!. 'Nuff said.....

Mario Guerra