[K12OSN] Beta 2 - apt/acrobat/sound

Gustav Kramer gj.kramer at planet.nl
Mon Nov 22 21:43:11 UTC 2004

I did a network install of Beta 2 using the iso from the image directory
so I can't comment on the CD1 not booting issue.  Overall it seems
quicker than previous versions but I still had issues with apt,
installing acrobat reader and sound.

apt

I was going to install some extra software using synaptic but it
complained that there were 6 broken packages.  I switched to the console
and ran apt-get update.  No problems.  I then ran apt-get upgrade and
got the following error:

apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
atomix: Depends: liblinc.so.1 but it is not installable
celestia: Depends: libgtkgl.so.5 but it is not installable
k12ltsp-core: Depends: caching-nameserver-ltsp but it is not installable
k12ltsp-utils: Depends: mlterm but it is not installable
Depends: perl-perl-ldap but it is not installable
tuxpaint-config: Depends: fltk but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

I didn't really like seeing the k12ltsp packages there but I ran apt-get
-f install anyways with the following results:

[root at thinkpad mnt]# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
atomix (0.9.4-1.k12ltsp.0.3.1)
celestia (0:1.3.0-0.fdr.4.1)
k12ltsp-core (4.2.0-1)
k12ltsp-education (4.2.0-1)
k12ltsp-utils (4.2.0-1)
tuxpaint-config (1:0.0.5-0.k12ltsp.0.4.2)
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 removed and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 22.7MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I declined in case there was something you would like me to check. If
there is something to be learned from saying yes, let me know and I'll
give it a shot.

Installing Acrobat Reader

Over the course of the evening yesterday and again this evening (I'm a
few hours ahead of most of you) I tried to run the install script.
Invariably it choked on "Testing package set/Solving RPM
interdependancies".  A couple of times I tried to stare it down and let
it sit there for as much as 20 minutes.  Then without doing anything
different, it worked!  It got through the testing package stage lickity
spit, chewed on downloading the acrobat files and the other files needed
to satisfy dependencies for  quite a while but in the end it finished
the installation.

Sound:

I have no luck at all with nasd.  How would I check to see if the daemon
is running on the server.

Using esd I have some success.  Rhythmbox works after setting up the
preference for gstreamer, but Realplayer 10 gives me nothing but a
dialogue box telling me that it "Can not open the audio device.  Another
application may be using it"  In the past there was a preference setting
that allowed you to choose esd rather than oss but that choice no longer
seems to exist.  Flash is also silent.  FWIW the video parts of both
Realplayer and Flash seen to work fine.

If there is anything you would like me to try let me know.

- gustav