[K12OSN] Beta 2 - apt/acrobat/sound

Jesse McDonnell jessemcdonnell at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 22:08:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:43:11 +0100
Gustav Kramer <gj.kramer at planet.nl> wrote:

[big snip]

> Sound:
>
> I have no luck at all with nasd.  How would I check to see if the daemon
> is running on the server.
>
> Using esd I have some success.  Rhythmbox works after setting up the
> preference for gstreamer, but Realplayer 10 gives me nothing but a
> dialogue box telling me that it "Can not open the audio device.  Another
> application may be using it"  In the past there was a preference setting
> that allowed you to choose esd rather than oss but that choice no longer
> seems to exist.  Flash is also silent.  FWIW the video parts of both
> Realplayer and Flash seen to work fine.

Gustav,

Did you check the permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. I've seen the Realplayer error you are getting when the user didn't have rw access to /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. As root, chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer  - should get things working.

The removal of esd and oss as output options occurred when Realplayer released Realplayer 10. Apparently, compiling the latest and greatest realplayer with esd support is problematic. So, if you need realplayer on the clients you'll need to use an earlier version.

Jesse McDonnell