[K12OSN] Re: Software to do X

Robert Arkiletian robark at telus.net
Tue Nov 23 03:27:32 UTC 2004

Henry Burroughs wrote:

>I've had some kids playing armagetron on the Thin-clients.  It works
>incredibly well (lowest detail).  It doesn't hit the server CPU very
>much at all.  If I use XDMCP to login to the server from my workstation,
>armagetron actually uses my LOCAL 3d acceleration (I have the NVIDIA
>drivers installed on my workstation X server).  Bandwith, it is probably
>making a dent.. (I have slowdows in another lab that is only connected
>by 10/100 to the server... my  main lab is via gigabit pipe to the
>server).
>
>Ah, the beauty of X's client/server model...
>

>        Blender works fine w/ Mesa, but does chew CPU and X bandwidth
>        as you say.  You really want that to run locally.  That is true
>        of any 3D modelling or CAD program.

Wow, I haven't tried getting mesa up yet. But it sure would be nice to
be able to run Blender, even if it's slow. I'll have to do a google on
how to get mesa 3d up on X.

Henry, can you elaborate on how the clients are able to utilize the 3d
accel of the server.  This sounds interesting. Does this mean that if
you have a powerful 3d accel card in the server the clients could share
this acceleration. I thought the clients were limited to the specs of
the client video cards.

--

Robert Arkiletian