[K12OSN] New menus - Reduced application collection

Hadfield, Tony (UK) tony.hadfield at baesystems.com
Tue Nov 23 15:57:32 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Les Mikesell
Sent: 16 November 2004 19:12
To: Support list for opensource software in schools.
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] New menus - Reduced application collection

               *** WARNING ***

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 10:24, Huck wrote:

> Personally I think it should just be MUCH MUCH easier to edit a default
> menu and enforce that menu among users.
> D. Trask, using IceWM, touts some app for editing that WM's menus, but
> I've not had the time to check it out yet.

Has anyone considered a Mac-like approach where you get rid of the
window-manager's menu concept completely and launch everything from
the filesystem?  I've never quite seen the point of having different
quirky menu systems for different window managers.  Why can't you
toss a symlink to an 'applications' folder on the desktop and have
everything work the same way?  And of course the folder(s) that were
the target of the symlinks could be the same for everyone, managed
for groups, or ignored and the symlink replaced with an individual
folder.  It looks like you could set these up by simply dragging
the items from the Gnome menu into the folders if you have write
permission.  I'm not sure how you would make the built-in menu
go away, though.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com

Les,
I like the idea of getting rid of the menu system.
Have you heard of the ROX project?
http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/WhatIsRox

Tony Hadfield