[K12OSN] New menus - Reduced application collection

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Nov 23 19:32:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:57, Hadfield, Tony (UK) wrote:

> Les,
> I like the idea of getting rid of the menu system.
> Have you heard of the ROX project?
> http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/WhatIsRox

That's a little more extreme than what I had in mind and doesn't
seem that well suited to multiple users unless it does a lot of
magic with symlinks.  You can get the idea of what I'm thinking
about by making a new folder on your desktop named 'applications'
and create launchers in it the easy way by dragging them off the
gnome menu and dropping them in the folder.  Then log out and
back into an icewm or kde session.  Note that you can still find
you application folder, open it, and start the same programs by
double-clicking them the same way.  Then note that you can mv
the real folder somewhere else and replace it with a symlink
on the desktop, so you could easily give a group of users access
to the same choices that you only manage in one place.  With KDE
you can even drop the folder on the task bar and create a new kind
of pop-up menu although you have to log in and out for this to pick
up changes in the real directory. I'm not sure I understand the point
of using menus specific to the window mangers.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com