[K12OSN] Hard Drive Upgrade Quandry

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Nov 26 17:30:39 UTC 2004

Liam Marshall wrote:

> I would like to get a Promise IDE raid controller, either the 4 or 6

Make sure it's compatible with a stock Linux kernel.  Typically, the low-priced
RAID controllers are software-based (the driver hides this fact from the
operating system), and sometimes the drivers are provided in binary-only format
(like the Promise controller at one customer's location, which provided modules
only for kernels from RH 7.2).  You're really best off with a card with
open-source drivers (like 3Ware, though I suspect that's out of your price range).

> channel version, haven't decided yet.  I was going to put on it 4 - 80
> GB EIDE hard drives with 7200 rpm and 8MB cache each.  I would use these
> in a raid 0+1 or raid 1+0 configuration.  It is my understanding that
> this will give me the best of both mirroring for redundancy, and
> parity/spanning for performance.

Yes, although 2 80 gig drives cost quite a bit more than 1 160 gig drive.

> If I am right in my understanding of raid levels 4 - 80GB drives in such
> a configuration will give me 160GB of storage space, with the other
> 160GB of the drives being used in a mirrored capacity right?

Yes.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge