[K12OSN] Server/Client Performance

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Tue Nov 30 12:06:10 UTC 2004

I agree that it's probably worth your while to buy a better machine.  A year or two back I built a computer for my sister for about $500 (built from parts from newegg.com) which is a P4 2.4 with 512MB DDR, 160GB hard drive, CD burner, Asus motherboard, optical mouse, decent video card, etc.  At home I run a 2.0 Celeron w/ 512 SDRAM and it works pretty well with two simultaneous logins running graphical applications.  Today you could get something better for even less money.  I bet $400 is all you'd have to spend.

On the other hand, I have a P2 233MHz w/ 192MB RAM and it is damn slow running as a standalone system, particularly for applications like OpenOffice.  Booting takes a long time and loading programs takes a long time.

-Rob