[K12OSN] Remote X Session from Windows XP Client

Luke Maslany l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk
Fri Oct 1 08:14:21 UTC 2004

Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread.

I confess that I was hoping that this would be possible through the use
of PuTTY as the .exe has already been deployed and is used to create SSH
sessions to the Linux box.  I did wonder how it would work without a
client-side server...

>http://www.cygwin.com
>
>Then use gdmconf to enable remote xdmcp connections to your Linux box.

I am still a fledgling when it comes to Linux, so much so that I have no
idea how to use 'gdmconf' to enable 'xdmcp' connections, but I am
willing to learn.  Does anyone have a link where I could read up on how
to do this (and the way in which this works)?

I don't suppose anyone knows a quick way to deploy cygwin to 500ish
Windows XP computers?  :)

In addition, are there any security considerations I should be aware of
if I use cygwin on a Windows XP SP2 box with none-administrative rights?

Again, I am very grateful for your help,

Luke Maslany