[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 8, Issue 9

Dave Prentice prentice at instruction.com
Sat Oct 2 03:17:36 UTC 2004

>From: Jay Pfaffman <pfaffman at gmail.com>
>Subject: [K12OSN] Demonstration site
>To: "Support list for opensource software in schools."
<snip>
>I've considered getting a small portable machine with a single
Ethernet card to take out to schools just to do a
>demo with their in-place machines.  Would it make sense to walk in
with a pre-configured server and the
>universal boot disk?  (Given that I could get a block of IPs, I
guess). Does the Universal boot disk really work
>(it didn't the one time I tried to use it).
>Jay Pfaffman                           <pfaffman at utk.edu>

    There are only about 30 or so floppy boot images in
/tftpboot/lts/boot/bootsomething (don't remember the exact path
because I'm at home). You could just make up a few floppies with the
most common NIC types. Once you boot one client, you can put the
floppy in the next and so on.
    I learned from this list a couple weeks ago (Volume 7, issue 80 --
thanks Chris Thomas!!!!!!) that some types of video cards, especially
on Compaq, may give a "no screens found" on boot. If so, you may have
to edit /opt/lts/i386/etc/vidlist (hope that's the correct path) to
put in the right drivers. If you have weird monitors like me you may
also have to add entries in lts.conf to assign a refresh rate to
individual machines according to their MAC address. Should work for
anything then.
Dave Prentice
prentice at instruction.com
http://www.originsresource.org