[K12OSN] deny IP based on MAC address....how?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Oct 4 01:23:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jim Hays wrote:

>try looking at
>
>man dhcpd
>
>and serch for deny
>
>That may have the info you want.

The problem with denying that mac address is the client will eventually
give itself a 169.x.x.x address and continue to flood the network.
Depending on the setup, it may or may not still be a risk, but it
could still be chewing up bandwidth.

How about assigning it 127.0.0.1? ;-)

/etc/dhcpd.conf:

	host goaway {
		hardware ethernet 01:02:03:04:05:06; # insert mac here
		fixed-address     127.0.0.1;
    }

I've never tried this, but it at least sounds like it might work...

-Eric