[K12OSN] OT: Anyone got experience of Tomcat (windows and linux)

Luis Montes luis.montes at cox.net
Fri Oct 8 18:24:28 UTC 2004

Really strange that someone would write an application based on open
standards like tomcat and mysql, yet not have linux support out of the box.

Anyways,
A few things to look out for:

1. make sure you have a 1.4.2 j2se SDK
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
     if you install the rpm file, it will likely install it in something
like /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05 or something like that.
2 set up a couple of environmental variables
    PATH may need to have /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05/bin  appended (or
prepended) to it
       test this with java -version on the command line. Should give you
some versioning info it that worked right.
    JAVA_HOME needs to be set to /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_05

3. Not sure what version of tomcat the app uses, but most versions come
with a startup.sh script that runs in linux
    if you have any port conflicts for the http server part of tomcat,
you can change that in the server.xml file in the tomcat directory

Java web applications are usually deployed in a .war file wich contain
resources like JSP files, libraries, and other web content.
If youre lucky, they may have the .war file on their tomcat diretory
installed on the windows box. You could just drop that into the
webapps(i think) directory and it will deploy itself on the next restart
of tomcat. As far as connecting to mysql, there are several ways to do
that, hopefully its in a config file for you and not hard-coded into the
application itself.

hope that helps...

Luis