[K12OSN] Improve loading time for OOo

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Oct 12 02:28:18 UTC 2004

Samps wrote:
> Yes, I'e noticed that it starts slightly faster on subsequent runs....
> It still takes almost 40 seconds though.
>
> Hardware is dual AMD Athlon XP1700 w. 1Gb SDRAM, user homes exported
> from an E-smith SME server using NFS

Whoa...  Maybe it's my server hardware, but I have about 75-80
concurrent users on my server all day.  Dual 3.2Ghz Xeon, 4GB RAM, GigE,
/home mounted over second GigE via NFS.  Startup time is actually 6-7
seconds from clicking the icon to typing in a document (I just vnc'd
into my server to time it).

What sort of startup time is normal?  Am I blessed?  Does my hardware
make that much of a difference?  I'm using icewm and XDM so that users
can't choose to use gnome or kde...

Shawn