[K12OSN] Improve loading time for OOo

Kjetil Knudsen kjetil at knudsen.gs
Tue Oct 12 10:45:25 UTC 2004

<-----Original Message----->

We
>> found the problem to be the hosts file. We have multiple LTSP servers
>> and the hosts file on our servers were not identical. After modyfing
the
>> hosts file, OO now have a loading time around 5 seconds.
>>
>> Kjetil
>>

>Kjetil,
>
>That sounds interesting. I've had at least one other LTSP server
running
>through all my fruitless efforts....
>
>What sort of changes to the hosts file? Can you remember?

If you have three Ltsp servers. All of the servers must be listet in the
hosts file on every server. Example.. Three servers. One are named LTSP1
with ip 192.168.0.251, the next LTSP2 with ip 192.168.0.252 and finally
LTSP3 with ip 192.168.253.. The hosts file for LTSP1 looks like this:
(The three last lines)
192.168.0.251 LTSP1 server.ltsp server
192.168.0.252 LTSP2 ws252.ltsp ws252
192.168.0.253 LTSP3 ws253.ltsp ws253
The hosts file for LTSP2 looks like this:
192.168.0.251 LTSP1 ws251.ltsp ws251
192.168.0.252 LTSP2 server.ltsp ws252
192.168.0.253 LTSP3 ws253.ltsp ws253
Finally the hosts file for LTSP3:
192.168.0.251 LTSP1 ws251.ltsp ws251
192.168.0.252 LTSP2 ws252.ltsp ws252
192.168.0.253 LTSP3 server.ltsp ws253
I do not know why OO uses the hosts file, but it looks like it is
getting confused if the hosts file are messed up. Anyway.. This solved
the problem with the long OO startup time at our school.

Kjetil