[K12OSN] Java Textbook!

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Thu Oct 14 03:07:42 UTC 2004

Steve Monson wrote:
> The *free* on-line book by Bruce Eckles is required reading where I
> work, and is available in print as well.  It's called Thinking in
> Java, at http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/.  It's a very good
> introduction to OOP, and introduces Java classes/concepts with each
> chapter.
>
> I highly recommend it.

I just downloaded this book.  It says:

"This book assumes that you have some programming familiarity: you
understand that a program is a collection of statements, the idea of a
subroutine/function/macro, control statements such as "if" and looping
constructs such as "while," etc. However, you might have learned this in
many places, such as programming with a macro language or working with a
tool like Perl. As long as you've programmed to the point where you feel
comfortable with the basic ideas of programming, you'll be able to work
through this book."

Where may I learn subroutine/function/macro, etc.
Are there more such free ebooks available, good tutorials, etc. that you
hackers would recommend?
I have not programmed (besides basic html and css, if that counts) since
writing in Basic on an Atari 400 at the age of 11 (24 years ago).

I'd like to learn more about programming again.

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net