[K12OSN] Simple mail relay

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Oct 15 14:53:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 06:42, Dimitri Yioulos wrote:

> I have hylafax running on one of my servers, and it works very well.
> I’d like hylafax to notify me when a fax is successfully sent or
> received.  My issue (and this would apply to other situations) is
> that, while I have sendmail installed on the same box, it seems like
> overkill to use it for this one simple task.  Is there a “lighter”
> relay agent (or is that MTA?), which would relay the fax info. to our
> actual mail (also sendmail) server?

For non-GUI apps, you can generally leave the allocation of resources
up to the Linux kernel which does a very good job of it.  That is, even
though sendmail is a big program, it won't consume much of your
machine's resources when its only activity is periodically scanning
your empty queue.  Unused parts of the program will either never be
loaded or will be paged back out if something else needs the memory.
And when you do have a job for it, using an old and well-tuned program
is likely to be more efficient than some recent hack re-write.

You can't take quite the same approach with GUI programs because they
tend to be much bigger when they drag in the dozens of different
toolkits and shared libraries that each uses.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com