[K12OSN] Improve loading time for OOo

Samps samps at redjocks.com
Sun Oct 17 10:34:47 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Saturday, October 16, 2004 at 10:22 PM +0000 wrote:
>
>>Yes, the LTSP-homes folder is created first, exported through NFS and
>>when users are created on the LTSP server I tick the option "create
>>/home/username" which gets created as a folder on the E-smiths
>>LTSP-homes folder
>

> Why are you creating the users of the LTSP box?  Especially if you're
> suthenticating to the E-Smith box?  Can you explain further?
>
> David N. Trask

I tried just creating them on the E-smith server but it didn't work.
Apparently K12LTSP needs to store some info about each and everyone of them.
It's not a big hassle tho' and their passwords don't need to be
maintained on the K12LTSP server, only on the E-smith.

Much of what I've done to get it running has been trial-of-error. I only
really started digging into K12LTSP recently, and into Linux only this
year, so I'm still a struggling newbie. Most likely, someone will be
able to tell me about simpler or more correct ways to do things but I'm
learning a lot and I really appreciate that.

cheers
Samps