[K12OSN] can't access samba shares from winxp

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Oct 17 17:40:36 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 10:25, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> Dear Folks,
> 	what do I need to do to have full access to samba shares from a
> winxp computer? The win98 and win2k boxes have no problem finding the
> shares by names set up in smb.conf, like, say "\\private\home". The winxp
> pro can find the samba servers only by address and finds only the publicly
> accessible stuff - nothing with user level authentication. This is the
> case for both K12LTSP 3.1.2 and 4.1.0. It is rather annoying to users and
> they annoy me in turn, unfortunately I am really hoplessly lost when it
> comes to M$ setups. Thanks, julius

The server address and authentication are two different issues.  Finding
the server by name can use either netbios/WINS resolution or DNS.  If
the samba server is in DNS, the windows boxes should find it but you
either need to use the full domain name or be sure the windows clients
are configured to search that DNS domain when given a bare hostname.
They should also be able to find it via WINS if all machines are using
the same WINS server.

For user authentication it helps if the user logged into windows with
the same username that he has on the server.  This may be the only way
to make the magic 'homes' work where each user sees only his own home
share.  Also for XP you need to use regedit to change:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\ControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\requiresignorseal
from the default setting of 1 to 0 to make it do a domain login to a
samba server.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com