[K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

dale dalen at czexan.net
Tue Oct 19 15:47:50 UTC 2004

Michael Williams wrote:
>>Hello,
>>	I wanted to get a wiring opinion from the list.  I need to extend a
>>network from a school office to a few adjacent buildings.  Each building
>>will have 5 or less workstations or LTS clients.  The lengths are less
>>than 30m.  I am considering running cat5e/6 thru metal conduit -vs-
>>fiber.  I am concerned with ground potential between buildings and cable
>>loss etc -vs- cat2fiber and fiber2cat costs.  Can I try it with cat, or
>>should I just use fiber?

> We use fiber on all runs like this, for the same reasons you list, ground
> potential and the like.
>
> Michael

Thanks everyone for all the replies!  I think I will only consider fiber
now.  I found 100TX-100FX converters for ~=$150 at
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10011071&loc=101&sp=1
Now I need to look at cable prices.  Does this media converter sound
like a resonable option?  Also, for the buried cable issues brought up
by others, this will be run in a seperate conduit under the roof of a
covered metal walkway between buildings.

Thanks,

Dale