[K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Oct 19 20:34:06 UTC 2004

My two cents: Unless things have changed significantly in the past couple of
years, leaving splicing fiber to people who have been trained to do it.  The
ends of the fiber must be cut properly and then polished on a series of
increasingly fine sandpapers.  One must use a special scope to see if the ends
are smooth and polished enough.  All in all, not something you want to tackle
unless you're going to be doing a lot of it which would give you the practice to
get good at it.  But then you have to be prepared to throw away the first
several ones you make because they won't work.

And I say this as one who can cut and crimp Cat 5 with one hand tied behind my
back.  Copper is much simpler, but not relevant in your case.

Petre