[K12OSN] rdesktop and Terminal Server Specs Inquiry

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Oct 20 12:36:11 UTC 2004

Steve Hargadon wrote:
> Anyone have a link to a good reference that helps to determine Win2k3
> specs based on number of users?

I jumped in REALLY late in this thread, but I just purchased a Win2k3
terminal server this summer.  Just like spec'ing an LTSP server, it
depends on the applications and concurrent users.  I literally bought
the fastest server I could afford, and prayed.  So far, it worked.

Me:

* Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz 2MB Cache
* 4GB DDR RAM
* Dual Gig Eth (one for connecting to /home with, and one for connecting
to clients with)
* RAID 5 ULTRA320 SCSI Drives with ULTRA320 RAID controller (the latter
is important)

I can support up to 75 concurrent users (That's how many licenses I
bought) running "SDS" our student management program.  Several also run
MS Office, etc.  I think general use is around 40 users, all running SDS
with about half running IE and MSOffice.  I have been surprised how well
it handled the load.

Not being "connected" at Microsoft, I had a difficult time finding
anyone there to help me size up a server need.  Administering it has
also been a challenge, since I am *not* a Microsoft guy at all...

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director