[K12OSN] Squid & Content filtering

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 18:50:48 UTC 2004

Someone who knows far more than me handles the firewall and internet
filtering at our school. But I have been trying to learn some stuff on
my own and saw a recommendation for IPCop on this list. At home, I have
installed IPCop and dansguardian. There are very good howto's out there
on the IPCop site, and with IPCop the updates and everything are right
there on the site, and fairly automated with a web interface. The howto
I followed off the IPCop "addons" site have you using a combination of
dansguardian and the squidguard blacklists. I still haven't been able to
figure out how to tweak dansguardian so that it doesn't block too much,
but I'm figuring it out slowly but surely. I have my own teenagers here
at home, and get plenty of feedback.

I had the CD burned, and the howtos printed out already, in thirty
minutes I had installed and configured everything with the howtos.

Rita Gibson
Tech Support
RMSEL