[K12OSN] Pros & Cons of upgrading a Production Server from RH8.0 to FC2?

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Wed Oct 20 19:13:51 UTC 2004

i'm in the process of installing a Fedora Core 2 (K12LTSP) box  at this
very moment to try out Centre 1.2 (open-source School Information System
app).  FC2 LOOKS really slick.  Nice eye-candy.  Very professional
looking OS.

I noticed that FC2 comes with Mozilla 1.7 and Gimp 2!  That's awesome!
I'd like to put those on my Production Servers running RedHat8.0.  And I
thought the easiest, fastest way would be to simply upgrade from RH8 to
FC2.  I am wrong in this thinking?

What are the Pros and Cons of upgrading from RH8 to FC2?  Remember this
is for two Production Servers, not Experimental Servers.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
 for that which he cannot lose."
 -- Jim Elliott

RICHARD K. INGALLS
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls (at) glenwood.k12.mo.us
web....http://glenwood.k12.mo.us
ph.....417.256.4849
fax....417.257.2567

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters
 of the very same story which is written across
 the whole world in letters too large
 for some of us to see."
 -- C. S. Lewis