[K12OSN] moving /home to separate drive

dale dalen at czexan.net
Thu Oct 21 20:02:20 UTC 2004

Burke Almquist wrote:

> Drop in a new drive, and partition/format. (use whatever tools you need
> here) Then mount your new drive with this
> mkdir /mnt/newdrive mount /dev/sd(x) /mnt/newdrive
>
> Go to single user mode and copy all your data over (cp -a /home
> /mnt/newdrive).
> Unmount /home, change the fstab file to reflect your new home
> drive/partition and remount.
> You should now be able to use the old home drive/partition for something
> else.
> Now you should be able to choose to NOT erase the new /home partition
> when you to a clean install of 4.1
>
> Anyone have something else to add?
Everything sounds good.  I would add that if you need to keep downtime
to a minimum, you can replace cp with 2 runs of rsync.  rsync old home
to new home once while the server is in normal mode (3 or 5).  Then
bring it into single user mode and rsync again.  The second run of rsync
will be short as only a few files should be different.  I used this
method in the past when upgrading a harddrive on my mail server.

Thanks,

Dale