[K12OSN] Squid & Content filtering

Adam Melancon adammelancon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 21:20:15 UTC 2004

Looking at how your network is setup, it looks like you will need to
have iptables do a redirect, to redirect all of the port 80 traffic
that is comming in on the internal port to port 3180 where it will
then become filtered.
Look up iptables transparent proxy in google.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:10:53 -0400, KJ <ksj2010 at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Adam (et al),
> Thank you for your suggestions, the how-to below was particularly
> helpful.  I am curious about one note that is referenced.
>
> "If you were running a transparent redirect in your Cisco router" - I am
> not running any redirects anywhere, it goes pretty much like this.
>
> Internet ->
> Cable Modem ->
> Router/Firewall->
> "External" NIC->  LTSP Box
> Internal NIC -> LTSP Box
> LTSP connections web browsing.
>
> Is there something that I need to do to get all traffic routed through
> the squid & squidguardian?
>
> Am I making any sense?
> Thank you all again!
> KJ
>
> <snip>
> I don't know if this helps, but I wrote this squidguard how-to when
> replacing our iprism web filter here at the library.
> http://www.vermilion.lib.la.us/sysadminsite/squidguard/
> Enjoy!
> </snip>
>
> <snip>
> >  KJ wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I have installed (Finally!) K12 LTSP and it is working
> > > great! I had a bad CD player, took me weeks to figure that out
> > > (I'm not worthy to be a geek anymore!) :-)
> > >
> > > Now my question is Squid and Content filtering. I have been unable
> > > to get Squid to work, I'm not really sure where to look or what to
> > > do to get started, can anyone point me in the right direction?
> > > (ie. websites with HOWTO's or something) I'd really appreciate it.
> > >

> > > Also if you can tell me what you use for content filtering and what
> > > seems to be the best, I'd really appreciate it!
> </snip>

Adam Melancon
Work: http://www.vermilion.lib.la.us
Personal: http://www.melancon.org