[K12OSN] sata as secondary HD - server won't boot [OT]

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Sun Oct 24 19:19:02 UTC 2004

Hey Folks,

I dropped a sata drive in my Dell 400sc k12 server and got the home
directory moved there.  Rebooted a few times, everything was hunky dory, so
I proceed with a clean reinstall of k12ltsp on the ata drive.  Now, the
server will only boot if the sata drive is disconnected.  I think I hosed
the proprietary MBR on the "C:" drive of the server(the original ata drive),
so it thinks the sata is the "C:".  (There is very annoying windows
centricness in the BIOS where the "C:" is the only hard drive boot option.)
I really feel like this is a bios boot order problem, but I need to be able
to tell the dell to boot of the primary IDE before the sata.  But wouldn't
it go there when it didn't find anything bootable on the sata buss?  Anyway,
does anyone have a clue what to do?  I need the sata back because it's got
/home on it.

ck