[K12OSN] Assign Drive letter c: to ata drive in linux

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Oct 25 23:23:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:53, Carl Keil wrote:

> I'm still having trouble booting my DELL 400sc server after installing a
> sata drive for /home.  The BIOS is looking for a C: drive to boot from,
> there's no option to look at the IDE bus, or primary IDE or something.  So,
> does anyone know how to make this thing think that the Primary ATA drive is
> a "C:" drive?  If I take the SATA buss offline in the BIOS it boots
> fine.  If I don't I have to hit F12 at bootup and go into a special boot
> menu where I can select "Primary IDE" and it boots fine.  I'd like it to
> boot without intervention like that.

There may be a couple of alternatives.  The bios setup may have
a section about 'bios boot devices', meaning cards with their own
bios ROM on board and allow you to lower the priority or remove
them from the bootable list.  The card itself may have a way you
can change its options (it would prompt you to hit a key during
bootup).  If you don't boot from the drive you don't need bios
active at all.  If you can't do either of these you may be able to
install grub on the SATA drive, but configured to boot the kernel
from the existing location.  You'll probably have to figure out
the grub notation for the hd devices from the bios perspective
though.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com