[K12OSN] RE: Assign Drive letter c: to ata drive in linux (Glenn Arnold)

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Oct 27 12:59:20 UTC 2004

For what it's worth, I have found out, as of last night, that the ASUS
A7N8X-E motherboard, which has both PATA (traditional 40-pin IDE) and
SATA ports, does in fact support having both simultaneously.  Here is my
setup:

512MB DRAM
AMD Athlon 2400+
Two PATA drives on the primary PATA channel (20GB and 40GB)
DVD/CDRW drive on the secondary PATA channel
Two SATA disks, one on each SATA channel (both 160GB)

Works like a charm.  The SATA disks are in a Linux kernel RAID 1 mounted
as /home; and /boot, /, /usr, and /var, as well as swap, are spread
across the two PATA drives.  The system boots from the 20GB PATA drive,
which houses /boot and /.  Yes, I probably could've partitioned it
somewhat more efficiently, but this was primarily to test PATA/SATA
operability.  :-)

Note that with motherboards with built-in "SATA RAID", don't waste your
time with that RAID.  If you want SATA RAID, then use your SATA ports in
straight-up JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) mode, and you'll be just fine.
Works great with anything with a 2.6 kernel, including FC2, SuSE Linux
9.1, and Knoppix 3.6 (in kernel 2.6 mode, of course).  Note also that
HighPoint SATA controllers work as well, provided you're in JBOD mode.
The 2.4 kernel, while supporting SATA to a degree, recognized that disks
were on both SATA ports, but it could only initialize the first disk.
This was with both the ASUS A7N8X-E built-in SATA ports and the
HighPoint SATA controller, and I remember reading something on
KernelTrap about somewhat incomplete SATA support in Linux 2.4.  2.6
fixes that.

So, for those of us who, in the future, might need to build a SATA-based
K12LTSP server on the cheap, you might do well to consider building it
out of one or more of these components, paired with FC2 or later.

--TP