[K12OSN] Help! Squidguard will not obey the ACLs in the conf file

Tim Kaldahl tkaldahl at maplewoodacademy.org
Wed Oct 27 16:41:58 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:k12osn-bounces at redhat.com]On
Behalf Of Joseph Bishay
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 11:12 AM
To: k12osn at redhat.com
Subject: [K12OSN] Help! Squidguard will not obey the ACLs in the conf
file

	Hello,

	I hope everyone is doing well.

	Thanks to some kind folks on #ltsp, I was able to get squidguard up
	and running on the k12ltsp (RH9) server. And it blocks the 3 default
	blacklist sets.

	However, I wanted to activate all the possible blacklists, so I
	commented out the line with the 3, and uncommented the one below it
	that has all the different groups listed as !xxxx and so on. But it
	will not accept those new rules.

	I was able to change the redirection page so that a webpage I created
	and point to a page I'm serving off the server, so I know the file is
	being read. But why is it not blocking the others? As an example,
	typing in www.sex.com results in it being blocked, but
	www.allmp3s.com does not. And neither for hotmail, etc.

	Any thoughts on what I may be overlooking?

	Thank you kindly,
	Joseph

You will automatically know that my background is MS when I ask if you
rebooted the server ;>. From the been there done that category, each time I
edit the blacklists i have to restart or they don't work. (Actually I think
Gavin's Addonz have fixed that for me now.) Also, after Hotmail was blocked
by manually editing the acl list, students googled and were able to access
hotmail using the Japanese link. I had to block passport.msn.com if I
remember correctly. Even now if someone is using MSN Messenger (only faculty
are allowed to do so) they can still access hotmail.

hth
Tim