[K12OSN] SCSI hard drive speed

Liam Marshall lsrpm at mts.net
Thu Oct 28 05:10:31 UTC 2004

I have upgraded as far as I can go for this year.  Performance is
acceptable, except that more than 2 instances of thin clients running
tux type or tux math bogs entire system down.  Everything else functions
well.  Staroffice and FireFox running simultaneously on 25+ machines
doing research essays perform well enough for our school's needs.

For next year, or next term if I am lucky, I am thinking of upgrading
the hard drives.  Currently using an old IBM SCSI drive (9gb) for /root
and a Seagate SCSI (18 gb and 5400 rpm) for /home /opt and /swap.

Would 11000, or 15000 rpm SCSI drives show any kind of performance
increase?  Even if they don't I would probably still upgrade them
eventually to gain more storage anyway, but it would be nice to justify
the bigger drive(s) by saying that the increased rpm would make a
noticable improvement in performance

Ideas/suggestions?