[K12OSN] rdesktop as a separate screen

Linux Listserv scdslinuslist at shoreschool.org
Fri Oct 29 15:54:12 UTC 2004

Help?

I'm trying to get the "SCREEN_04" rdesktop thing to work and having some
trouble.  We're running LTSP v4.0 with just a few clients and all the
Linux stuff works fine.

But, now I'm trying to take one of this machines and set it to also be a
Windows 2000 Terminal Services client on a separate screen without having
to log in to an LTSP account.  In other words, I want it to press
Shift-Ctrl-F4 and get a login screen for the Windows Terminal server.

I uncommented the SCREEN_04 = rdesktop lines in the lts.conf (actually in
the section set aside for one client via MAC address):

   SCREEN_01 = startx
and set
   SCREEN_04 = rdesktop
      RDP_Server = 172.16.4.9 (the IP address of my W2K TS machine)
      RDP_OPTIONS = -f -d shoreschool.org

When I press Shift-Ctrl-F4 I get a black screen that says "Press <enter>
to Login".  When I press <Enter> I immediately get an error message that
says
   Fatal Server error
   Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running remove /tmp/.X0_lock and start
again.

If I change SCREEN_01 from startx to rdesktop and comment out SCREEN_04,
on boot up I get the black screen with the "Press <enter> to Login" and
pressing Enter brings me to the Win2KTS login screen.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Christopher Butler
Director of Technology
Shore Country Day School