[K12OSN] Internet connection

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Sun Oct 31 21:35:55 UTC 2004

Lee Myrick said:
> I'm interested to know what type of internet connection people are
> using for a 30-40 client project. I would think things would bog down
> terribly with a typical DSL connection, but I don't have experience
> with this, so I don't really know.

I'd think this would depend entirely on the nature of the users'
internet use (e-mail, web, streaming video?) and the DSL connection
(128kb up/256kb down, 1.5mb both ways?).

Web proxying via Squid and a caching nameserver could mitigate slowness
somewhat, particularly if users would be visiting the same web sites w/
lots of static content.

--
Dan Young
Parkrose School District