[K12OSN] flushing out my backlog... testing for version 4.1.1, followed by 3.2.0, then a 4.2.0 test build

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Oct 1 03:25:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 11:15, Eric Harrison wrote:
>> I have
>> been investigating moving from WhiteBox to Centos. Centos seems to be
>> doing a better job at keeping in sync with RHEL, which is important to
>> me since I'm working on RHEL boxes at work...
>
>Centos looks more like a real group project, but ummm, errr.., maybe
>OS distributions done as a one-man-show aren't a problem for you.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's one of the reasons why I've argued that K12LTSP is not, or
at least should not, be a distribution. It is, or at least should
be, a preconfigured implementation of LTSP integrated into a well
supported base distribution.

I sorta started down the "distro" road in the beginning, but quickly
realized what a mistake that would be. We didn't attract enough
developer resources to sustain that sort of objective. Instead we
ended up narrowing the scope as much as possible and pushing the
novel ideas, code, and techniques upstream - where there were
enough developer resources.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. Winter is just
around the corner and I'll be spending a lot more time in doors
hacking away ;-)  A good use of that time would be to make a complete
task list for generating a K12LTSP build from scratch. From fetching
the third-party packages, packaging LTSP, installer modifications,
and testing. All I have to do is write it down while I'm working
on it...  it shouldn't be much more than a hundred or so pages
of documentation <grin>. Such documentation would save me time
in the long run, serve as a great checklist for people who want
to help do QA work, and in the long run help ensure that the
project continues on smoothly should I get hit by a bus or
become a monk or something like that ;-)

-Eric