[K12OSN] Server Help! (a little desperate)

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Oct 1 17:53:38 UTC 2004

Wow...

Things have been going great this year, our entire district is using
thin clients.  Here's a very brief breakdown of how things are running:

1 Server handles DNS, TFTP, DHCP, NIS
1 Server handles NFS (/home), SMB
1 Server handles LTSP (running 4.0.1, but the TFTP and DHCP are farmed
out to the other server)

For some reason, I've had 2 major "glitches" this year.

Last week, eth0 (where clients connect) just quit responding.  The
server appeared fine, but 10.10.10.10 was not pingable.  After a brief
panic, I just ran ifdown eth0, and ifup eth0 -- and I've had no problems
until today.  They started right after I left for lunch, of course.

Today, the LTSP server quit responding altogether.  When going to the
console, I couldn't even get THAT to come up.  I power cycled the
machine, and everything has come up just peachy -- BUT I'm very worried now.

I'm getting some "I told you so's" from the staff, who accused me that
putting all my eggs in one basket was a bad idea, and with linux you get
what you pay for, etc, etc, etc...

My question?  Where do I start looking for some problems?  I've read
just about every bit of text in /var/log -- and nothing looks fishy.  At
13:00, messages just stopped being written to /var/log/messages.  There
were no odd entries before it stopped.

Are there other logs I should be checking?  Perhaps after school today,
I'll take the server down and run memtest...  Especially during this
first year, I need close to 100% uptime, and I've had bad luck so far.

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director
spowers at inlandlakes.org