[K12OSN] flushing out my backlog... testing for version 4.1.1, followed by 3.2.0, then a 4.2.0 test build

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Fri Oct 1 19:23:19 UTC 2004

Eric Harrison wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Chris Thomas wrote:
>

>>What are some of the differences between Centos and
>>WBEL besides the sync times?
>>

>Another big plus for Centos is that some of the people
>on this list are also on the Centos lists. There does
>not appear to be much cross-pollination between K12LTSP
>and WB.

I am one of those busy cross-pollinating bees :) I was in the market for
a new os after fedora didn't really suit my needs and so it came down to
a choice between the RHEL clones. I made my choice based on subscribing
to each mailing list for 2 weeks and following the discussions.

WBEL mailing list has ALOT more traffic than any of the others (eg.
CentOS, Lineox, TaoLinux, ...) and so my decision was an easy one.

The only problem I see with WBEL at the moment is that it *also* seems
to be pretty much a one man show - and at the moment that show seems to
be a bit overloaded. There have been some recent updates that have taken
a while, after the RHEL release, before showing up on the WB mirrors.

I think WB is considering a CD respin for the latest U3 updates from
RHEL so that the recent SATA support in the latest kernel is integrated
into the installation procedure ... so that could be what is slowing
things down over there. Or maybe its just that John Morris doesn't
actually wear a flowing red cape - and that he is a guy like any of us
with lots of real life things to do outside of WB.

Oh yeah - CentOS colors were obviously chosen by a *talented* graphic
designer. In other words - someone that can write really good code - but
shouldn't go anywhere near that gimp color palette ;)

Hope this helps clear up some questions about the RHEL clones ...

pantz
**

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!