[K12OSN] Remote X Session from Windows XP Client

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 22:00:26 UTC 2004

Unless X is already a part of your environment, I think what you'd
rather do is use VNC.  Get tightvnc and install it on your windoze
machines.  It can fun full-screen and is easier than configuring X.

I just got the GDM stuff configured for my machine.  Disable your
firewall while you're debugging the other stuff.  It was also unclear
what was necessary to have gdm reload the config files.

Finally, another solution would be to have the machines dual-boot
between windows and a thin client.  I've been trying to figure that
one out, but I'll start another thread for that.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:58:08 +0100, Luke Maslany <l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk> wrote:

> I'm a network engineer (in title, if not in pay…) at a small FE/HE college and I have been tasked with introducing Linux to the student network.  While I have successfully managed to get a Linux box up and working (with quite a bit of help from this list!), it would appear that the tutors would prefer a graphical interface, rather than the nice command line I have provided them with.
>
> At present, we use RIS to deploy Microsoft images to the workstations, so changing the DHCP settings to boot from an LTSP box is not really viable.  In addition, I am reluctant to let students boot from removable media, so floppy disks (and equivalents) are also ruled out.
>
> Until I manage to convince everyone to try a wholesale move to Linux, I am looking for a solution to allow users to run a remote X session from within Windows XP.
>
> Any help or advice on were to find such information (or even a detailed step-by-step guide!) would be very much appreciated.
>
> Luke Maslany

> Luke Maslany
> Network Engineer
> Josiah Mason College
> l.maslany at jmc.ac.uk

Jay Pfaffman                           <pfaffman at utk.edu>
Asst Professor of Instructional Technology, U. TN, Knoxville
Experimenting with gmail, please honor the Reply-To