[K12OSN] Demonstration site

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Fri Oct 1 22:34:22 UTC 2004

Jay Pfaffman wrote:

>I'd like a third site where I give them a server and allow them to use
>their in-place PeeCees as thin clients.  The questions are, how much
>machine do I need to run 20 clients?  What can I do with dual AMD XP
>2600+ and 120GB serial ATA and 1 GB of ram?  2GB?
>
>I've considered getting a small portable machine with a single
>Ethernet card to take out to schools just to do a demo with their
>in-place machines.  Would it make sense to walk in with a
>pre-configured server and the universal boot disk?  (Given that I
>could get a block of IPs, I guess).
>Does the Universal boot disk really work (it didn't the one time I
>tried to use it).
>
>Ideas for getting into a school and showing things off as quickly as
>possible are what I'm looking for.

Jay,
with that machine you can easily run 20 clients...using Gnome even...and
OpenOffice/Mozilla...
Tux would crash you out after about the 3rd station(in my experience
without a gig switch)...

I've been wondering the same on the mobile unit....
if you got a laptop with a built-in ethernet(gig would be kewl)...and a
pcmcia-10/100 card...
you could foreseeably(is that really a word?) grab that with a couple
YEStation Mini's(VERY small units) or other 'terminals'
and a nice little 4..n port switch and rock their worlds =)

Expense is an issue with me and a laptop is not cost-effective enough
for me to buy...I just waste my manpower(self) and carry a huge
server around if I need to demo for a school or other clientel. Or just
the 4 installation CD's...and show them the install process and how
simple that is as well! chat 'em up while the cd's are installing...show
them your slick spreadsheets showing the cost/benefit analysis of LTSP
vs. MS
all that jazz...

--Huck