[K12OSN] HD boot-Format 1722kb floppy on Fedora Core 2

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu at orcon.net.nz
Sat Oct 9 18:37:14 UTC 2004

I am trying to set up booting from the hard drive on K12LTSP using Toms's
boot disk. When I run the install on one of my servers (K12LTSP4.01) the
floppies don't verify. I heard some floppy drives/ systems just don't work.
So I tried it on another box (K12LTSP 4.1.0) and I get the message "Device
not found" Does anyone have advice how to format 1722kb floppies using
Fedora Core 2. This seems to be the sticking point.

Perhaps there is another way to do this. If there is a 1.44 MB boot image
that will allow me to format my HD so I can copy the etherboot image that
might be easier. If someone can send an image that I can copy direct to 1.44
floppy that would be fantastic! :-)

Other suggestions welcome.

Background: I have been using floppies to boot my client computers but have
found them a. unreliable (many floppy disk errors) b. the floppy drive is
used up by the boot floppy because c. if the kids take the floppies out they
lose them.

Etherboot BootROM nics are too expensive to get. I already have the hard
drives and have no other use for them. I have about 8-9 like this

My new terminals have PXE on the motherboard NIC. Much easier:>)