[K12OSN] North Eastern Conference Possibility

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Oct 11 22:41:47 UTC 2004

the Linux Summer Conference that I spoke of earlier is exactly what you're
describing.  We had many folks from Maine, NH, and MA....as well as some
from Toronto, and Vancouver.  We cover many topics and you can attend
whatever session you like....this past year it was a three day event, but
if the interest is there we may be able to extend that.  We also had some
really cool mini-sessions in the evening covering things like security,
multi-media...etc.  I will be meeting with Derek on the first weekend in
November...we'll nail down a date then and let you all know....plan on the
last week in June....that seemed to work very well last year.  I'll keep
ya'll posted.  (PS...it's a fantastic networking opportunity....I've
learned a lot just from talking to folks from other parts of the Northeast)

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Friday, October 8, 2004 at 12:08 PM +0000 wrote:
>Hi all,
>I have been noticing that there are quite a few people
>from that northeast that participate in this list (I
>am somewhat sporadic) i.e. ME, Quebec, NY, NH, MA,
>etc. (I am in VT). Would there be any interest in
>trying to put together a regional conference on Linux
>in general and K12LTSP in particular? I don't know
>very many knowledgeable Linux people and usually turn
>to HowTOs and ListServes for help.  These are great
>resources but I would like more. In my area, I am
>often the guy other school IT people turn to for help.
>There may be other school IT people in the area who
>are as knowledgeable as I am but I just don't know
>them and I have knowledge gaps (like everyone) that
>need to be filled in. There are plenty of local folks
>I can turn to for help with Netware, Windows, Macs,
>etc. I would like to see Linux and K12LTSP grow to
>that point as well.
>It seems to me that if the K12LTSP IT people could
>have a conference, then we could develop more personal
>connections, get some questions answered in person,
>have some fun and figure how how to broaden adoption
>by our peers. We also might get some of the folks to
>come who are considering adoption but not doing it at
>present.
>What are people's thoughts?
>Dave
>David Tisdell, Computer Coordinator