[K12OSN] Woe is me: Onboard SCSI/RAID Controller

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 21:54:06 UTC 2004

I notice there's alot of discussion here about the different on-board
RAID controllers.  Most, if not all, SCSI controllers, on-board or
otherwise, should be found by any Linux distributions.  The problem you
have is the RAID chipset manufacturers that are in bed with Microsoft
and take hardware design shortcuts on the actual hardware RAID and
borrow resources from the Windows OS.  Promise Technologies is just one
notorious for this with their onboard IDE RAID implementations.

There's countless ways to approach this, as indicated by the variety of
motherboard RAID a try and consider 3ware controller cards for real
Hardware RAID in Linux if you're doing anything with IDE drives.  My
understanding is that the newest K12LTSP's come with SATA support does
actually recognize an on-board Promise SATA chipset, but it would
require specific checking on the chipset before money is spent.