[K12OSN] Improve loading time for OOo

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Oct 13 03:04:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 20:21, Samps wrote:

> On the E-smith DC:
>
> Installed PORTMAP
> Installed NFS (older version, newer one refused to install)
>
> Created a folder, /home/e-smith/users/LTSPhomes
> exported /home/e-smith/files/users/LTSPhomes over NFS to our LTSP servers
>
> (having trouble making PORTMAP and NFS start up at start-up, still
> starting them manually)

E-smith uses a non-standard runlevel 7.  If you install stock RH
rpms you would ordinarily use
chkconfig --level 345 servicename on
to make them start at boot by putting symlinks to the init scripts
in the appropriate  /etc/rc.d/rc?.d directories.  The quick fix
for e-smith is to go to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and use 'cp -a' to
copy the symlinks for the service to ../rc7.d so it will
start at boot.  (Modified e-smith rpms actually use a slightly
more complicated scheme but this is good enough).

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com