[K12OSN] Improve loading time for OOo

Patrick Healy phealy at dsta.net
Wed Oct 13 05:06:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:14:17AM +0930, Samps wrote:

> Has anyone worked out such a hack for LTSP 4.1 and OOo 1.1.0?

One of my talented students last year wrote this perl script named 'oquick'
which has been working since last March on our k12ltsp 4.0 server
it loads up a session which is then immediately moved to the background.

We run IceWM exclusively, so the startup script below loads
for every user that logs in.  Not perfect but effective.

[phealy at crux phealy]$ cat /usr/share/icewm/startup
oquick 2>/dev/null &

[phealy at crux phealy]$ cat /usr/bin/oquick
#!/usr/bin/perl

system("ooffice -draw -minimized &");

while (1){
$a = readpipe("xprop -name \"Untitled1 - OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 \"");
if ($a ne ""){
if ($a ne "xprop: error: No window with name Untitled1 - OpenOffice.org
1.1.0  exists!\n"){
sleep 1;
system("icesh -class \"VCLSalFrame\" setState 16 16");
exit;
}
}
}
                                                                                [phealy at crux phealy]$

These kids really amaze me sometimes.
Too bad that just when they're most useful,
they go and graduate!

Hope this helps --
Pat Healy
Palm Desert High School