[K12OSN] Re: restart verynice without rebooting?

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Wed Oct 13 17:13:48 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:

>aha!  Thanks for the tip!

Well, since you like it... :)

If you type /etc/init.d/ <tab> you can see a list of services you can stop and start. You can type stop or start to do the obvious, or status to see if the service is running or not, for example:
/etc/init.d/dhcpd status
will tell you if dhcp is running or not.

Alternatively, you can also use service:
#service dhcpd start     (or stop or status)

If you want to configure which services should start in your current runlevel, you can do that with the ntsysv tool:
#ntsysv

I can send you more info about runlevels if you like. It's a real powerful aspect of Linux, and it helped me understand a LOT once I got it.

-Jonathan