[K12OSN] Hardcoding proxy/user setting in mozilla for all users

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Thu Oct 14 12:38:37 UTC 2004

On Thursday 14 Oct 2004 10:56 am, Wilson wrote:
> Is there a way to hardcode the proxy setting to all users? Right now I have
> to manually set the proxy setting (http://192.168.0.254:8080) on all the
> user accounts by logging in. Also, what about cosmetic changes like setting
> the theme to modern and enabling tab browsing? There has to be a better way
> then hard coding it per user. Thanks!

How is your shell scripting?  What I did is setup one user with the proxy
settings, etc.  The following commands ensure that any new accounts will
inherit these settings
cp -r $HOME/.mozilla to /etc/skel
rm /etc/skel/appreg

One fly in the ointment is that prefs.js file for newly created users needs to
have some paths changed.  You can add a script to /etc/bashrc to handle this.
This same script can setup proxy settings, etc for exitsing users too.

It's time to get creative, and fiddle with either perl (where it should be a
doddle) or do what I did and use a shell script with some bits awk in it.
I've written many scripts over the years so doing this sort of stuff is
second nature to me.  The thing to remember in scripting is that what youi can
type at the command line can be put in a script; work out how you would do it
manually and code using this as a base.

Easy peasy!
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation